It is tempting to hold on to work clothes, but it is at the expense of freeing up room in your closet. A lot of my work clothes are kind of dated anyway. Joe Fresh has almost everything you need for retirement. Yes I know their hiring practices in Bangladesh have been controversial but you can’t beat the prices and styling and there are no snooty ageist sales people. Ok no sales people. I have converted many of my friends to Joe Fresh who don’t already shop at the Salvation Army. What is about baby boomers that draws them to the Salvation Army? The Tyee has written on the role of clothing in global warming. Most of my peers have had minimalist wardrobes most of their life.
Yes you need a two season wardrobe in Vancouver.. Winter/Spring/Fall and Summer. Don’t forget Junuary. Are you working part time? Ok let’s say you need business casual two days a week. Save something from your work wardrobe. Do laundry once every 2 weeks. If you do laundry once a week you can do with a smaller wardrobe.
2 day a week work wardrobe all year round
- 1 pair black pants or tights
- 1 long black/grey/burgundy warm sweater
- 4 long sleeve t-shirts any colour. I suggest Patagonia if you want a good quality t-shirt that fits loosely.
- 4 short sleeve t shirts any colour
- 4 pairs black socks
- 1 pair shoes/runners depending on dress code
- 2 scarves – warm, fancy etc to dress up wardrobe and keep neck warm.
This takes care of 4/14 days all year round.
Dec 11 2019. Eddie Bauer closes in Vancouver, my go to place. Joe Fresh has no long sleeve t-shirts. I am forced to shop for my black t-shirts online.
Winter/Spring/Fall in Vancouver
- Tights – 2 pairs black, 1 multicolor for fun
- 10 long sleeve t-shirts -various colours
- Rain coat with lining: Hely Hansen is my favourite because it has a zip up collar at the neck, a two way zipper and flannel lined pockets as well as a light weight lining
- Windproof shell you can wear over down or fleece jacket.
- I seldom wear wool sweaters in the winter in Vancouver.
- 1 Fleece Jacket
- Down coat, knee length. It can be very windy in Vancouver and the dampness goes right through you. Here is my favourite from Eddie Bauer. I am on my second one.. buy a dark colour!
- Short lighter weight down jacket with shell – Eddie Bauer and North Face have lots to choose from.
Summer in Vancouver/Travelling south in the winter
- Knee length tights – 2 pairs, black and multicolour. Joe Fresh has a great selection. Very cute patterns.
- 2 pairs LLBean Comfort trail shorts because the waist is adjustable, quick dry, will last forever and good for travelling south. Black and khaki. $ 50.00 US.
- The Mountain Hardwear Women’s Dynama Capri cropped pants cover off shorts or cropped pants, they are stretchy and have pockets big enough for an iphone. The Mountain Hardwear Dynamo line come in shorts and long pants as well. I have replaced both shorts and knee length tights with the MH cropped pants. Now I am thinking the long pants might replace a pair of tights and the mid length shorts might replace the LLBean shorts.
- 10 short sleeve t-shirts various colours and styles
- Two dresses with short sleeves. Can wear to work.
In Vancouver you will seldom need: Sundresses, tank tops, tops with spaghetti straps or bathing suits. Vancouver is pretty casual so the work wardrobe can work for upscale events. Layers are the best way to go as the weather changes hourly and from area to area in the city.
Shoes For the Beach!
Shoes: My favourite waterproof walking/running shoes.
I have bought 4 pairs as I do a lot of walking. They are not for cold weather or snow but they are waterproof and good for beach walking. Of course the version I bought is no longer available.